Travel and Keto by Annie Tomsik


I had been living Ketogenic Lifestyle for six week, when I was told of my sister Patty's illness and summoned to Portland Oregon. She had gotten sick, her lungs were filling up with fluid. Her home town doctors sent her to OHSU, in Portland. In ten days she went from feeling sick to a diagnosis of stage four cancer, to hospice and was gone.

I drove ten hours straight though to get to her and spend those precious days with Patty.  It was hard for me because after my diabetic scare I knew I wouldn't be any good do anyone if I was sick too. 

I would wonder around the grocery store not really knowing what I could eat or that I could bring back to the hotel room. My daughter tried to help suggest things. But we had limited space and most of our time was spent in the hospital family room while my sister slept. 

I basically lived on salad, cottage cheese, avocados and sunflower seeds. Believe me I was still learning. I had internet knowledge of keto but no research knowledge. 

It's been two years and I have grown since that time. I know the research. I have the tools. When I leave for a half day, I do intermittent fasting. If I go out for a full day, I pack my small cooler. If my trip is any longer, I grab the big cooler.

I pack a lunch for my husband five days a week, so I have gotten good at "road grub". I boil eggs. They are always filling. You can do so much with them. I also pack cooked bacon, lunch meats, avocados, lettuce, cheese, tomatoes,  cream cheese, celery, and a few nut packs. Some people have different opinions on some of these. But they work for me and it's not every day. Sometimes I send left over and sometimes I make keto bread for sandwiches. I make lettuce wraps, keto soups, and finger size meat pies.

We never eat out. The few times we tried, our experience was awful. When crossing Texas, we encountered a women at a gas station deli who got upset when we said "no bun". She litterally refused to wait on us. We were visiting Saint Louis and stop for a bite to eat. We ordered a scrambled egg bowl. I got so sick. We tried the keto rice at Chipotles in Springfield. The chicken was still raw on some of it, and the cauliflower rice was nasty. We probably could say that everyone experiences bad food. But after all that plus Covid, we started eating only what we prepare ourselves.

By preparing your own food you are eating healthier and you know what ingredients are in your food. There are no hidden preservative, sweetner or carb in it. Food preparation is easy if you put together a weekly list of meal, and what ingredients you are using. Then put everything in storage containers and you are ready. During the week I set up crock pot meals. I time them for dinner. I also set up oven meals which my husband or daughter can pop in for me.

Keto is an easier way to eat. It make the preparation easier too. So it's not opening a can or a box. But the few minutes it takes, is worth it.

To your better heath

Resources:

Amy Berger's book The stall slayer

Dr. Eric Westman book End your carb confusion

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Links to the The Outlaw Micheal Tomsik

WWE PAY PER VIEW ROYAL RUMBLE ODDS by THE OUTLAW MICHEAL TOMSIK

WWE SUMMER SLAM ODDS by The Outlaw Micheal Tomsik