Coin grasp


I enjoy watching old movies. Especially those of the past that have something to do with Britain. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Little Princess, and Pride and Prejudice are a few of these movies.

Unfortunately because the film is set during the early 1900s in Britain, I am unable to tell what the currency would be between the English pound and the American dollar.

I had gone on many websites to find out this information but I find that although I can find the currency, I can't find the equality of the pound versus the dollar.

But thanks to an article written about Sherlock Holmes, I finally found exactly what I was looking for. The following is a list of Britain's old money value and how much it is worth compaired to the American dollar:


farthing – the smallest coinage = 1/4 penny

halfpenny (pronounced “hay-pinee”.) = 1/2 penny
penny – (in conjunction with other denominations is called “pence”.)
threepenny (thruh-pence) = three pennies
sixpence = six pennies
shilling 12 pence (1/20 pound sterling) in slang a “bob.”
two shillings = 24 pence (1/10 pound sterling)
two and six. — two shillings plus sixpence = 30 pence
five shillings – 60 pence (called a Crown)
one pound = 240 pence = 20 shillings (called a “sovereign”; a slang expression “quid) = £
guinea = 1 pound plus one shilling.


In the future I will be able to know exactly what currency is being passed for items of the 19th century Britain in such TV shows as Downton Abbey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Links to the The Outlaw Micheal Tomsik

WWE PAY PER VIEW ROYAL RUMBLE ODDS by THE OUTLAW MICHEAL TOMSIK

WWE SUMMER SLAM ODDS by The Outlaw Micheal Tomsik